Saturday, April 3, 2010

Activism Log 6

Adam Green
Nina Perez
WST 3015

Activism
I have begun emailing letters to university women's studies programs. My process have been "googling" the university women's or gender studies department, finding a reputable contact email, and then cut and paste-ing the letter to the email after customizing it for each school and department chair. In other words, it is very tedious. It feels time-consuming, but I muster up a an easy pace and get the job done! In the meantime, I am learning about other women's studies programs. I did not realize the magnitude of scholarship in women's studies. I am hoping that the contacts at these universities will feel as passionate as we do about this campaign and join us. We are spreading the word.
Reflection
According to Seely, "to achieve true social, political, end economic equality for all women, we must have equal representation in the institutions that shape the face of our society. We need to have a place at the table of decision making" (Seely 94). Alice Paul paved the way to the door by fighting for the right to vote and women's equality. All people, men and women can vote, enter the room equally as citizens with rights in this country. Although women, are still fighting for spots at tables in politics, business, and even some families, we can not forget Alice Paul's sacrifice. Suffragists made it possible for women to share in the political process. This is a blessing to America and women, we should never regret.
Reciprocity
I think I can call myself a true activist now. I am in the middle of a letter and petition campaign. I like to think that my work is going to make a difference. I have high hopes for this project.

Seely, Megan. Fight like a Girl: How to Be a Fearless Feminist. New York: New York UP, 2007. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment