Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Activism Log 9

Adam Green
Nina Perez
WST 3015

Activism
We tabled outside the Student Union in the free speech zone. We did not experience heavy traffic, but I had an opportunity to discuss Alice Paul and our campaign with students who passed by. Some signed the petition, others did not. As I expected, the majority of the students did not know who Alice Paul was. But some did. I think it is amazing that we have come all the way to college, experiencing twelve years worth of education, never hearing a word about Alice Paul. I really enjoyed breaking the news about Alice Paul to others. I sensed in many of the people I talked to the same curiosity I felt when Nina introduced her story to the class. Tabling gave me an opportunity to experience live action activism. I enjoyed the experience.
Reflection
Our activism project has been a process. We have taken our passion for a national holiday for Alice Paul from the micro level to the meso level. We are on our way to seeing the fruition of Alice Paul Day impacting our country at a macro level. We have made a place for ourselves in the Global Women's Movement. "This essentially individualistic experience seems to engender a connection to the wider universe of injustice in a way that leads to a better understanding of the link between different forms of oppression and builds life-long commitments to the struggle against injustice" (Antrobus 635). We are participating in a project that is greater than this course can contain. We are on a journey to challenge the intellect, education, and understanding of women's history in this nation and around the globe.
Reciprocity
It is amazing to feel myself become political. I have literally demonstrated the feminist montra: the personal is poltical. Tabling is actual face to face activism. Much like the protests and rallies Alice Paul led, I have stepped out of my comfort zone to pursue political change.

Antrobus, Peggy. "The Global Women's Movement. Women's Lives: Multicultural Perspectives. 5th Ed.New York: McGraw-Hill, 2010. 629-636.

No comments:

Post a Comment