Saturday, April 3, 2010

Activism Log 5

Adam Green
Nina Perez
WST 3015

Activism
This week we met with Nina and set deadlines for sending out letters. We are emailing the women's studies departments in different states. I am emailing universities in Massachusetts to Nevada and feminist organizations. We discussed the importance of our mission in this meeting. By campaigning for a Women's National Holiday, we are reclaiming a history of women that has been lost and ignored. We, Americans tend to re-write history to avoid remembering the gruesome struggle and trend of inequality toward minorities. I had never even heard about the suffrage movement or Alice Paul. Young girls and men need feminine heroes to admire and learn from. This holiday would be a national reminder to remember women's history. Alice Paul was a a fighter, advocate, and activist that stood on the frontline of women's liberation.
Reflection
I am finding activism to be an erotic of mine. Alice Paul's life was dedicated to activism and women's right. I would like to guess that her work in the feminist movement was an assertion of our life force. After being imprisoned, ostracized, and oppressed as a woman, something must have kept her fighting. I am sure that the fight for women's equality was her passion. I don't know what my niche is, but I know that the personal is political. "Recognizing the power of the erotic within our lives gives us he energy to pursue genuine change within our world rather than merely settling for a shift of characters in the same weary drama" (Lorde 164).
Reciprocity
I am excited and nervous about actually doing work, communicating with others about this project. I am learning political and activist strategies that I can take with me to any other activist project.
Lorde, Audre. "Radical Pleasure: "Uses of the Erotic." Women's Lives Multicultural Perspectives. 5th Ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2010. 161-64.

No comments:

Post a Comment