Monday, February 22, 2010

Activism Log 1

Adam Scott Green
Jeanine Perez
Introduction to Women's Studies
for February 10, 2009.

Activism
While the proposal was being finalized we began our activism work to establish a First Women's National Holiday. So far, we have experienced some generational conflicts, between older second wave feminists of NOW and us. We may not be able to get support from our local NOW. That is only a minor obstacle. We have decided to send letters to Women's Studies Departments, NOW chapters, feminist agenda organizations, and other potential supportors of our campaign. In addition we have created a facebook fan page. I am an administrator on the page and "policing" the sexists has been a challenge. I have had to delete a picture someone posted. I have atttatched it to this blog.
Reflection
We need to educate the community. The stuggle of suffragists has been forgotton. According to Seely, "The feminist movement has a rich history-full of struggle, sacrifice, justice, resistance, and many victories. But, unfortunately feminist activism is often left out of textbooks, the halls of our educational institutions, and, as a result, far too often our consciousness" (Seely 27). I actually never heard about Alice Paul or understood the suffrage moement until this class. I don't think that I am the only one who has forsaken her legacy. This campaign has a good chance of ending the cycle of repressing women's history.
Reciprocity
I am realizing that this grassroots campaign is not going to be free of the naysayers. I have found it impportant for me to maintain the mission of our project despite sexist opppostition. My first project was to do research on the obstacles the government went through to establish the Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday. There was oppostition against establishing that holiday too. Realistically, this is not going to be an easy journey. Still, I believe we should have an Alice Paul National Hliday; I have work to do. My next project is to find a comprehensive women's history to post on the facebook and research names of potential supporters in the Northeast.

Seely, Megan. Fight like a Girl: How to Be a Fearless Feminist. New York: New York UP, 2007. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment